Back to Job Positions
Senior Engineer - Ockam Orchestrator
TL;DR - Ockam builds developer tools within the security space with the objective of enabling trusted communication between any applications. We believe in building trust when it comes to our product as well as the culture we have for our teams. We’d love for you to join us on our journey!
Ockam’s vision is to build a future where all applications can be interoperable - everywhere. We empower developers with simple tools so they can create applications that Trust data in motion.
Ockam equips development teams with the tools they need to easily build a “trust architecture” within their applications to ensure that data that moves over complex, multi-hop, multi-protocol routes is end-to-end encrypted, mutually authenticated, secure, and private.
We are excited to announce our Series A fundraise of $12.5M from Craft Ventures, Future Ventures, SineWave Ventures, OCV and Okta Ventures!
As Ockam continues to grow, our values and virtues stay constant as our guiding lights. It is deeply important for us to maintain and enhance a culture in which everyone is respected, valued and empowered. And has a great time working with our kind and talented team members!
About the Opportunity
In this role, you will be part of the Ockam Orchestrator and open source Elixir library team.
Ockam provides a collection of messaging and cryptographic protocols that provide end-to-end application layer trust in data. We believe that, in order to have a realistically manageable vulnerability surface, all modern applications need end-to-end guarantees of data integrity and authenticity. The only way to build secure and private applications is to remove unnecessary implicit trust in network boundaries, intermediaries and infrastructure.
This role will require solving challenging problems in areas like API design, messaging guarantees, protocol design, fault tolerant services, kubernetes integration/automation, cloud integration/automation, abstraction, loose coupling, pluggable modules and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging protocols, network protocols, cryptographic protocols, cloud systems etc.
The Ockam team is passionate about making powerful cryptographic protocols simple and safe for application developers. In this role you will collaborate with this team to deliver safe, secure, stable, scalable, well-documented, easy to use cloud services, in Elixir, that enable end-to-end encrypted, mutually authenticated, granularly authorized secure communication for distributed applications. We also use Elixir as our bridge to several enterprise systems and this role will involve designing integrations with many external messaging systems, authorization systems and cloud services.
What We're Looking For
- Building cloud systems in Elixir or Erlang.
- API design.
- Kubernetes and containers.
- Designing and provisioning cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Git and GitHub's workflow.
- Modern CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Collaborating in a remote-first, high-performance team.
- Individual and collaborative project management leadership.
- 10+ years of experience building low-level and backend systems
- Distributed systems and Messaging Protocols.
- Messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka etc.
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases.
Your Roadmap at Ockam, within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about how our Ockam Orchestrator works.
- Have 1x1s and pairing sessions with the team members that you’ll be working with closely and get to know your engineering peers.
- Do a deep dive into the code base and learn more about the inner workings of our Elixir code base.
- Learn about what processes our team currently has in place and how we get work done.
- Tackle your first ticket by committing code to one of our repos.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Gain a robust understanding of the needs of the Elixir codebase
- Design, architect, and deliver your first large feature
- Guide your peers that you work with on areas of improvement on the technical side as well as the process side
- Establish strong async and sync communication rhythms with your peers and management, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress and areas of focus
- Celebrate the major win of having your work being used and valued by our users
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in an area that interests you
- Continue to contribute to our Ockam Orchestrator
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Coach and mentor team members
Within 12 months, you'll:
- Have significant ownership, making extensive contributions to a large system that enables customers to establish trusted channels between applications.
- Drive initiatives with high-impact on the business and our customers.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering management the executive team to level up the organization and continually improve our product.
Ockam is a growing company. The above is a high-level of what we see this role will comprise of at this point in time. We’re always learning and iterating and we evolve accordingly.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying, in addition to your resume, LinkedIn, and GitHub URLs, we’d love to know more about:
1. Your Open Source history - your experience with open source projects and contributions
2. A cover letter with a short blurb about why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Ockam would be great, though not required and will not impact your application.
When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We hire globally and believe that the unique perspectives and contributions of all our team members is the driver of our success.
Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against anyone based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.