Back to Job Positions
Staff Engineer - Infrastructure, DevOps, SRE (Platform Engineering)
TL;DR - Ockam builds developer tools within the security space with the objective of enabling trusted communication between any applications. We believe in building trust when it comes to our product as well as the culture we have for our teams. We’d love for you to join us on our journey!
Ockam’s vision is to build a future where all applications can be interoperable - everywhere. We empower developers with simple tools so they can create applications that Trust data in motion.
Ockam equips development teams with the tools they need to easily build a “trust architecture” within their applications to ensure that data that moves over complex, multi-hop, multi-protocol routes is end-to-end encrypted, mutually authenticated, secure, and private.
We are excited to announce our Series A fundraise of $12.5M from Craft Ventures, Future Ventures, SineWave Ventures, OCV and Okta Ventures!
As Ockam continues to grow, our values and virtues stay constant as our guiding lights. It is deeply important for us to maintain and enhance a culture in which everyone is respected, valued and empowered. And has a great time working with our kind and talented team members!
About the Opportunity
In this role, you will be the most senior engineer on our Platform Engineering team and this role will require solving challenging problems in areas like infrastructure automation, continuous deployment, secrets management, observability, fault tolerance, security monitoring, incidence response and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging systems, networking, security, cloud applications etc.
Your focus will be on developing tools and processes to measure and drive key Service Level Objectives. An ideal person for this role is someone who has past experience working in a team responsible for operating open source products as-a-service on public cloud infrastructure (ex. MongoDB Atlas, Confluent Cloud, etc).
This role involves architecture, tool design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
Generally, see the engineering levels for Staff Engineers at Ockam. Furthermore, we’ve defined the Staff level to align with this book.
Big Picture / Product User Experience
- Understanding customer use cases and how their user experience is affected by the platform and processes that we use to operate and deliver our products.
- Creating and executing a plan to commit to Service Levels (drive observability, SLIs, SLOs and SLAs. Plan incident response, create runbooks etc.)
- Creating and executing a plan to achieve various platform compliance standards - AWS Well Architected, External Security Audits, SOC2 etc.
Design / Architecture / Implementation
- Building, maintaining, securing, and scaling our cloud infrastructure.
- Enabling Continuous Delivery across the Product Engineering teams - design build, test, release, deployment, upgrade pipelines.
- Establishing security best practices across our company - secure our dependencies, dev environments, delivery pipelines, release processes, cloud infrastructure etc.
Communication / Leveling Up Team Members / Project Management
- Educating and helping Product Engineering teams understand the ‘DevOps mindset’ and bring engineering practices to the team
- High Communication with the Engineers across both the Ockam Open Source and Ockam Orchestrator teams to ensure everyone is on the same page with new features, infrastructure, deployment and customer needs
- Mentoring team members on the Platform Engineering team
- Breaking down work into consumable chunks for the Platform Engineers to work on and unblocking them as needed
- Collaborate on interviewing and vetting candidates for open platform and devops engineering roles
Ockam is a growing company. The above is a high-level of what we see this role will comprise of at this point in time. We’re always learning and iterating and we evolve accordingly.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying, in addition to your resume, LinkedIn, and GitHub URLs, we’d love to know more about:
1. Your Open Source history - your experience with open source projects and contributions
2. A cover letter with a short blurb about why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Ockam would be great, though not required and will not impact your application.
When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We hire globally and believe that the unique perspectives and contributions of all our team members is the driver of our success.
Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against anyone based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.