Back to Job Positions
Staff Engineer - Rust
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and developing Ockam's open source Rust Library and Command Line.
Ockam crates implement a collection of messaging and cryptographic protocols that provide end-to-end application layer trust in data. We believe that, in order to have a realistically manageable vulnerability surface, all modern applications need end-to-end guarantees of data integrity and authenticity. The only way to build secure and private applications is to remove unnecessary implicit trust in network boundaries, intermediaries and infrastructure.
This role will require solving challenging problems in areas like library API design, type systems, protocol design, actor model, async execution, abstraction, loose coupling, pluggable modules and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging protocols, network protocols, cryptographic protocols, embedded systems etc.
The Ockam team is passionate about making powerful cryptographic protocols simple and safe for application developers. In this role you will collaborate with this team to deliver safe, secure, stable, well-documented, easy to use, 100% open source Rust libraries and command line.
This role involves architecture, interface design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
- Architecture and API design in the Rust language.
- Type Systems, Generics, Futures, Async/Await, Tokio
- Distributed systems, Actor based concurrent systems, Messaging Protocols.
- Library API and CLI design.
- Building components in complex code bases.
- Modern build systems, CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases.
- Git and GitHub's workflow.
- At least 15 years of experience building systems and designing APIs.
- Provisioning and operating large-scale cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Containers and Kubernetes.
- The basics of cryptography and PKI.
- Comfort switching between multiple programming languages.
- This is a Staff Level (L6/7) role at Ockam.
- For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, <click here for our guide>.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.