Back to Job Positions
Staff Engineer - Rust
TL;DR - Ockam builds developer tools within the security space with the objective of enabling trusted communication between any applications. We believe in building trust when it comes to our product as well as the culture we have for our teams. We’d love for you to join us on our journey!
Ockam’s vision is to build a future where all applications can be interoperable - everywhere. We empower developers with simple tools so they can create applications that Trust data in motion.
Ockam equips development teams with the tools they need to easily build a “trust architecture” within their applications to ensure that data that moves over complex, multi-hop, multi-protocol routes is end-to-end encrypted, mutually authenticated, secure, and private.
We are excited to announce our Series A fundraise of $12.5M from Craft Ventures, Future Ventures, SineWave Ventures, OCV and Okta Ventures!
As Ockam continues to grow, our values and virtues stay constant as our guiding lights. It is deeply important for us to maintain and enhance a culture in which everyone is respected, valued and empowered. And has a great time working with our kind and talented team members!
About the Opportunity
In this role, you will be the most senior engineer on our Rust team and will be responsible for designing and developing Ockam's Rust Open Source library and Command Line.
This is an ideal role if you are an experienced staff or principal level engineer and are responsible for a large Rust library. In this role you will work with a team of engineers that you’ll be guiding and mentoring. You’ll be taking large and possibly nebulous concepts and turning them into delivered features and products. You have worked on large projects with many customers and have experience in scaling engineering best practices.
This role will require solving challenging problems in areas like library API design, type systems, protocol design, actor model, async execution, abstraction, loose coupling, pluggable modules and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging protocols, network protocols, cryptographic protocols, embedded systems etc. You will be collaborating with them to deliver secure, well-documented, easy to use Open Source code.
This role involves architecture, interface design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
What We're Looking For
- Expertise in architecting and designing APIs in Rust
- Knowledge of Type Systems, Generics, Futures, Async/Await, Tokio
- Deep understanding of library API and CLI design and documentation
- Built components in complex codebases
- Used modern build systems, CI/CD pipelines and DevOps
- Consumed and contributed to open source codebases
- Experienced with Git and GitHub workflows
- 15+ years of experience building low-level and backend systems
- Distributed systems, Actor-based concurrent systems and Messaging protocols
- Provisioning and operating basic cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages
Your Roadmap at Ockam, within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about how Ockam’s Rust libraries, Ockam Protocols and Ockam Orchestrator work.
- Have 1x1s and pairing sessions with the team members that you’ll be working with closely and get to know your engineering peers.
- Do a deep dive into the code base and learn more about the inner workings of our Rust libraries.
- Learn about what processes our team currently has in place and how we get work done.
- Work closely with our CTO, Mrinal Wadhwa having deep technical and product conversations
- Tackle your first ticket by committing code to one of our repos.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Gain a robust understanding of the needs of the Rust library
- Design, architect, and deliver your first large feature
- Begin putting in place and implementing Engineering best practices that will help our team members
- Establish strong async and sync communication rhythms with your peers and management, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress and areas of focus
- Celebrate the major win of having your work being used and valued by our users
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert
- Have a deep understanding of what our current and potential customers want and be able to help create a roadmap for our future
- Continue to contribute to our Open Source libraries and Ockam Command
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Coach and mentor team members
Within 12 months, you'll:
- Have significant ownership, making extensive contributions to a large system that enables customers to establish trusted channels between applications.
- Drive initiatives with high-impact on the business and our customers.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering management and the executive team to level up the organization and continually improve our product.
Ockam is a growing company. The above is a high-level of what we see this role will comprise of at this point in time. We’re always learning and iterating and we evolve accordingly.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying, in addition to your resume, LinkedIn, and GitHub URLs, we’d love to know more about:
1. Your Open Source history - your experience with open source projects and contributions
2. A cover letter with a short blurb about why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Ockam would be great, though not required and will not impact your application.
When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We hire globally and believe that the unique perspectives and contributions of all our team members is the driver of our success.
Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against anyone based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.